Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Exploring Sex in Dystopian Fiction


The goal of my research paper is to look at the portrayal of sex across multiple dystopian novels and then to understand if they are portrayed similarly, and if so why is sex portrayed in this way. I am interested in comparing some of the books we have already read in class, as well as reading more and conducting my own analysis. I then think it would be interesting to combine my analysis with others to preform both a first hand and a Meta analysis of the literature. I am interested in the portrayal of sex because I see it as something critical to the human experience, and I am not sure if I am doing it the “right way”, or if there is a right way, but I think a lot of people are doing it in a way that produces negative consequences. Through literature I believe that I can better understand how sex, and by extension intimacy, fits into the human experience.
Before starting my preliminary research, I figured that sex in dystopian novels would be portrayed as either negative or a form of rebellion depending on the context of the novel. If the character is using sex as tool to fight against whatever force is responsible for their dystopia then it would be portrayed as positive, such as in George Orwell’s Nineteen Eight Four. Likewise, when sex is used as a tool to control, as seen in Margret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, it would be seen as negative. Doing a preliminary Google Scholar search yielded some interesting results. Many of the papers published centered around a feminist interpretation of popular dystopian novels, such as the Handmaid’s Tale. I should have expected such results and I might have to reorient my question to look at dystopian novels through a feminist perspective. Another common result was the portrayal of leisure, or more accurately the lack of leisure, in dystopian novels. This might also provide an interesting thesis, however I feel as though this would be getting to far away from my interests. These results have also led me to consider possibly evaluating how gender as whole is perceived instead of just sex, but here again I feel as though my interest in the subject, though great, is not as high as the portrayal of sex.
I think the area that the college databases could help me with is finding both more papers that deal with the portrayal of sex in dystopian novels and more dystopian stories that portray sex in any light. I have read few dystopian novels in my life and by reading more I think I could gain better insight of the role of sex in them. More papers on sex in dystopian novels would also be very helpful because they would help me with preforming my meta-analysis and give me a better understanding of how other is in the field have understood the role of sex in such novels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment